Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 23:31:55 -0700
Ralph,

I researched rotators for a while and decided on the OR2800. It is a very popular
unit designed for large antenna loads and is used by a number of big contest
stations. It has proven to be very reliable. It has a shortcoming though but
there is a remedy.
Its shortcoming is water intrusion through the very top of the rotator,
getting past the seal and down into the reduction gearing. It happens gradually and after a number of years you end up taking the rotator out and repairing it with new seals, etc. They supposedly remedied this but reports show the issue is reduced but still there. I contacted several contest stations and learned that they install a flashing over the top of their 2800's to shed the water away and have eliminated the problem. The flashing used is either fabricated or off the shelf roof vent flashing designed to seal around roof vent pipes. There are sheet metal ones and flexible rubber boot ones available. I am going to use a rubber boot flashing over my 2800. I've decided to use the Oatey Master Flash boot. They are EPDM rubber and UV resistant. You just cut the top off at the ring that corresponds to your mast dia., in my case 2 inches. Slide it on the mast above the rotator and clamp on with a SS hose clamp. Trim off the square rim on the bottom end so it is round and you are good to go. Below is one of the Oatey boots for an example. They have different sizes available. Just pick a boot with a range that will fit your mast at the top and large enough diameter at the bottom to hang down over the rotator.

http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-14052-0-25-Inch-4-Inch-Master/dp/B0002YU3LU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461649068&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=oatey+14502+master+flash

Anway, that is what I am doing.  Hope this helps.

73,
Bob
K6UJ