Re: [TowerTalk] Ledge Lightning Ground Advice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ledge Lightning Ground Advice
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 16:38:50 -0400
Some thoughts:

Much depends on the rock composition and moisture content.
If the soil and rock are primarily dry, the short ground rods probably offer little protection. You could pour a large pad of concrete with embedded rerod as a UFER ground, but that would likely be expensive. The other option would be a network of buried copper wire which can also get kinda pricey.

I'm no expert on UFER grounds so I don''t know how much would be adequate.

http://www.psihq.com/iread/ufergrnd.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufer_ground

(Quote below from Wikipedia)
"Ufer grounds, when present, are preferred over the use of grounding rods. In some areas (like Des Moines, Iowa) Ufer grounds are required for all residential and commercial buildings.[5] The conductivity of the soil usually determines if Ufer grounds are required in any particular area." (

There are usually a number on here well versed in the use of UFER grounds. Your base for the 25G is far more than what is needed. With a guyed tower, the base only serves one function: To keep the base of the tower in place, by preventing the base from skidding sideways and preventing it from sinking into the soil. If the concrete block is large enough it can also serve as a UFER ground. With solid rock only 2 to 3 feet down the sinking is solved. 3 holes for solid rod (epoxied in) to match the tower legs would solve the skidding problem

In days gone by, I have had a number of 40 and 50' towers with plain old "dirt bases" and large antennas. 5L on 20, 6L on 15 with 42' booms and 7L on 10. (39' boom) Admittedly 40' for 5L on 20 is low, but it was all I had.

ROHN even sold a "dirt base" for years, but I've not seen it offered in many years. Whether from abuse, or the lawyers (I suspect the latter) ROHN considered a dirt base adequate for many 25G installations. I'd not hesitate to use one for a 25G up to 60, or possibly 70 feet depending on the load weight and soil composition. I'd not go beyond that due to the weight as well as guy weight and tension adding to the weight pushing down. With taller towers the upper guys are longer and at a steeper angle which puts more of the tension onto the tower as a vertical load.

73

Roger (K8RI)