Re: [TowerTalk] Update on 40' non-guyed tower question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Update on 40' non-guyed tower question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 18:21:43 -0400
One point I forgot to make. The two bracket attach points to the house are usually reinforced on the inside. In a strong wind there is a lot of stress on these attach points. With 15' of tower and mast above the top bracket at 30' and the bottom bracket at 15 to 20 feet (what ever ROHN says) I would think a small 3 element tribander should work, BUT, I'd ask an engineer about stress on that wall.

I'd have more concern about the wall than the tower. A good strong wind night crack plaster on the inside...or worse, so be sure to check with an engineer. Bracketing to a house wall isn't nearly as simple as it sounds. Many have done it successfully but many also reinforced those walls. There was an article in QST on this topic a few years ago and it contained a few cautions as well as to how to reinforce walls to bracket towers.

73

Roger   (K8RI)