[TowerTalk] Defamation / libel: definitions - and some thoughts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Defamation / libel: definitions - and some thoughts
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 10:41:41 +0000 (GMT)
I am not a lawyer, nor do I want to be one.  I thought reading up (just a
little) on this topic
would be a good thing for me, in general.

I am sure there is a lot of case law on this topic, so this is probably not
"one size fits all."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-law-made-simple-29718.html

And no, I don't just "believe" everything I read on the Internet.  LOL

As for "base size," I have a TX472 which I purchased when UST first started up
(actually,
when I ordered it from HRO, it was still a Tristao (ergo, a long time ago).

During Hurricane Sandy, a large (very large) tree fell directly into the tower
and bent it at
the bottom of the tower (this was another topic of discussion here a couple
years back).

See:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dougzzz/HurricaneSandyOct292012#5809231886763547874
https://picasaweb.google.com/dougzzz/HurricaneSandyOct292012#5809231743273633954

The concrete was fine (at least there was nothing visibly wrong).

When I bought a replacement tower (another TX472), I noted that the concrete
base specs
 no longer matched.  They cited larger dimensions in ALL directions.  Well, for
me, it was
 clear that the original base was plenty big (at least for my QTH's soil).

A multi-ton tree crashing into the tower was probably way more than the tower
was spec'ed
out to hold, in terms of lateral wind-load.

I used the existing concrete base.

YMMV

de Doug KR2Q