Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 12:46:27 -0700
I live on the coast, just a few hundred feet from the Pacific. Most wind is from the ocean onshore. The cable and sat installers here use crimped connectors, fast which counts for the installers. HOWEVER, later, they also spend a lot of time repairing lines and replacing connectors which corrode via the salt spray and air, specifically the work that is outdoors for periods of time. Varies of course depending upon the protection provided. Like Paul, every connector used outdoors at this house is 4 hole soldered for just the latter reason. And the coax cover is properly screwed into the connector. Where I use barrels to interconnect two cables they are covered with flooded heatshrink and the heatshink ends double sealed with an application of 3M liquid tape. I learned when I first moved here that while tape was great for keeping water out most of the time, when I did find dry connectors, they still were coated almost pure white with salt. So FAR DIFFERENT from when I lived inland in Portland. There what corrodes and rusts here in a couple of weeks would not reach that condx for years and years.

Crimping is great but one has to consider the environment when choosing, at least that is the case here.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Christensen