Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259s

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259s
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 23:31:12 +0000 (UTC)
It's easy to solder plugs that aren't silver plated,
after you remove the nickel plating. Use the tip
of a small pair of slender scissors or a small
reamer to remove the plating on the inside
circumference of the four holes. A 1/8" twist
drill bit usually works. If the hole still has plating
on it, use a larger drill bit (#30, etc).

After that, the TECHNIQUE used to solder is the
same between Astroplate and silverplate connectors.
I've not seen my procedure mentioned.

I haven't soldered a UHF male onto RG-58 since the
1980s. I don't use connectors that require a crimp tool.
The only tool I need is a small pair of "pointy" cutters.
Bryan WA7PRC

     > I find those Amphenol nickel plated connectors a real pita to solder.

Of course -- those are the cheapies.

> Dunno if  amphenol makes a  silver  /teflon connector, but that would be a
> winner.

Sure -- part number 83-1SP, with no suffixes. Soldering is a dream. They
cost a bit more.