Re: [TowerTalk] Tilt-Over Rohn 25?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilt-Over Rohn 25?
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 19:24:53 -0500
We used to tip up and down 40' of R25 for Field Day. We used the local community college baseball diamond and one of the dugouts for our base of operations.

We had a Rohn tilt base for R25 and used to lift it with a block and tackle one of the OT's would bring every year.
We hooked that up to the bumper hitch on my Dakota pickup.

That tower was guyed in three directions with screw in anchors and was climbed with no problem or trepidation to install the TH3. The base plate was "nailed" down with 4' sections of rebar through the base bolt holes that had an L at the top which would allow us to get an old latching style car jack under the rebar to pull it out when field day was over. That rig survived and 80+ mph severe thunder storm one year. Storm was so bad we had members of the club getting out of bed and driving to the site to look for survivors. No worse for wear. Radio's didn't even get wet.

You'd have to get a mechanical engineer to confirm but I think a 12' 6x6 sunk 6' in concrete would be enough for 40' of Rohn 25. How long is the mast your planning on? If you're planning on 20' of mast out the top then the lever just increased 50%. If you're trying to self support this lash up forget about it. Rohn 25 is rated at 30' for self support and not much load. The mast and vertical would probably be 3 or 4 sqft of wind load.

Your going to need a winch and tilt plate. Might be cheaper to guy it properly. 3/16 EHS and associated hardware including 4' screw anchors are probably cheaper than a 12' 6x6, cement, tilt plate and winch.