Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Panel Report

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Panel Report
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 21:54:12 -0500
Jerry is "spot" (pun intended) on. I'm a meteorologist and we deal in probabilities all the time because we must communicate uncertainty. The same thing's need to be done with SS cycles, as well. provide a confidence interval for peaks and SSNs, etc. A forecast of X SSN and Y date does not communicate uncertainty, which must surely exist. We even have all manner of statistical scores for uncertainty to check the reliability of our probabilities, skill of forecasts against climatology, etc. It really is a pretty big deal.

Kim N5OP