Re: [TowerTalk] One of our own...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One of our own...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 23:02:05 -0400
What I find interesting about this thread and TT posts "in general" is what different people find works for them, or what they like.

TT is a mix of both science and opinion. Which is which is usually quite evident to those of us with the background enabling us to make that decision. Unfortunately, new hams are not required to have much in the way of electronics, or a physics backgrounds. Many have a wider and deeper understanding of digital communications than I do and I have a degree in CS, but I also have a substantial education in physics and electronics. OTOH, I do tend to make mistakes when relying on my old memory.

Quite often, what someone claims works for them, it is in spite of what they have done, rather than because of it. Then, it become interesting as to why they find whatever works best, or what matching system is their favorite.

Expecting a wide variety of "amateurs", to know other than anecdotal experiences is asking a bit much of and group unless it's limited to professionals and that's not what tower talk is about. We're here to talk about what we've done, how it worked, and to provide help to other hams, both new and old timers. Unfortunately the newcomers will have a problem separating what worked for some, theory, and how far we can deviate from theory and still receive acceptable results.

Those who think electronics is simple should look at a first year EE text where it takes calculus to solve the problems. TT is composed mostly of experienced Amateurs (Definition of Amateur "paraphrased", is one who does a specific thing, or action because of a love for that thing or action). It has nothing to do with knowledge contrary to the accepted level of knowledge society attributes to being an amateur.

In regards to an earlier remark, made by who, I forget. Rereading a post will probably do littler good as when a person takes an opposing view regardless of how they phrase it, someone, or more will be offended. OTOH some posts could be phrases a bit less confrontational. This post is meant to be informational and aimed at no one, but I'm sure some will still find it offensive.

73

Roger (K8RI)

---