[TowerTalk] Heat from nearby lightning strikes...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heat from nearby lightning strikes...
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 09:28:16 -0700
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 08:03:51 -0500
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>

All towers are lightning magnets so we are or should be interested in
protection but... Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem
(Problem = old fashioned term for issue) with the advertising copy below?

Arc Gas Discharge
*Lightning Protection*

OPEK MODEL: LP-350A

Warmer temperatures bring an increased thunderstorm activity. So, now is
the time to protect your radios. A good way to do this is with lightning
protectors that utilize 'arc-gas' discharge tubes. Heat from nearby
lightning strikes rapidly expand the gas inside the tubes opening the
antenna feedline much quicker that old fashion surge protectors.

Patrick        NJ5G

##  heres how u deal with this.   Phone or ask em, how exactly their
arc-gas discharge tube is wired in series with the center conductor of the coax
!

##  or just order one..then complain that it appears to be wired from center
conductor
to shield..and this scheme is not working very well, since the normal short
between the
two is causing  you grief.

Jim  VE7RF