Re: [TowerTalk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 10:29:17 -0700
Exactly right, Grant.

I regularly measure Z in the shack with my DG8SAQ-designed VNWA, follow that with a TDR measurement of the line at VHF, then use Dan's ZPlots with short and open measurements of a shorter length of the coax to determine Vf as a function of frequency, and then use SimSmith to subtract out the transmission line to show the Z at the antenna (and to design stub matching networks, when needed). It's important to realize that Vf varies a percent or so with frequency, so to get Z at the antenna we must use Vf at the frequency of the antenna. The error is not great with electrically short lines, but can be a significant source of error with longer lines.

73, Jim K9YC