Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew rotator

To: Danny Pease <dpease@adams.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew rotator
From: ScottW3TX <scottw3tx@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:38:55 -0400
It quite simple to fashion an indestructible rotator from off-the-shelf 2
stage worm gearboxes, a pulse counter, a Green Heron rotator controller
plus DC interface, and some sprockets.

Typically one can start by doing the needed calculations found within the
Boston Gear catalog.  Pick the gearbox, pick a 90v DC wash down motor,
appropriate sprockets, and then put them together.

There is money to be saved by purchasing non-Boston knock-off parts, and
using them I have never had a field failure.

The tradeoff is that this will be MUCH more costly than buying an off the
shelf amateur radio rotator. But it will likely never fail.

73, Scott W3TX