Re: [TowerTalk] Stupd question about measuring Z and SWR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stupd question about measuring Z and SWR
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 20:22:15 -0400
An AIM in the shack can do all that for you without ever leaving the rig and it will do it to two or three decimal places. An accuracy that is way beyond being useful. . The difference between 50 ohms and real life coax is close enough that it really doesn't need to be taken into consideration. The AIM can show you impedance bumps, SWR, loss, return loss, Z, R, etc. Even with a dipole the AIM will display changes in parameters caused by the wind moving the antenna, trees, and any nearby objects.

Save the initial traces, add an antenna and overlay the traces to see changes. The AV640 vertical is a great working antenna, but is very sensitive to nearby antennas. I found a 40 meter dipole over 50 feet distant made substantial changes as shown by the AIM. It gives far more information than SWR, but for most of us, the SWR as seen in the shack is good enough for who it's for.

I knew the real SWR was at the antenna, but for me and my rig the SWR as seen in the shack was what was important. A tuner in the shack only changes what the rig sees, which is usually good enough.

True, if you want every last watt out of the antenna that the coax can deliver then it needs to be a perfect match at the feed point. Unfortunately a simple antenna like a dipole is unlikely going to be 50 ohms, However, there is likely more loss in a tuner at the feed point between the 2:1, or possibly 3:1 SWR, points than in the mismatch.

In my case, I do use good, low loss coax, with exceptions. Most runs from the rigs to the common point ground (CPG), the Polyphasers, the 6-pack, the grounding at the bottom and top of the tower, the rotator loop and the antenna may result in as many as 10 connectors in over 200 feet. The loss in all those connectors does add up, but on 160 through 10 the total is still minuscule (even with UHF connectors).

OTOH I even use RG-8X (on 40)  to the sloping dipoles.
If I ran QRP, I might be more concerned, but then, I'd not be running SO2R with all the switching and connectors.

73

Roger (K8RI)