[TowerTalk] Raising a TH-11 DX antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Raising a TH-11 DX antenna
From: Dave Leisman <w8qwdave@casair.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:51:05 -0400

I have one of these beast that I have resurrected and am ready to put on top of
a 70' Rohn 45 tower.  The tower is properly guyed and
steady as a rock.  My question though is how to get the antenna from the ground
to the top of the tower.

At Dayton this past spring I bought the ARRL's book on towers and antennas and
have been reading about "tramming" the antenna to the
top and then placing it accordingly.  That seems attractive but this is a very
heavy antenna and my concern is the strength of the
mast to hold the rope tight while the antenna is making its way to the top.

My understanding is that in the "tramming" method the antenna is carried to the
top by a sling (more or less)and then put in place
once it reaches the top.

The other method involves sliding the antenna up two ropes spaced apart at the
bottom of the tower, beyond the guys wires.  This
sounds good but there are phasing tubes on the underside of the TH_11 that
could be (most likely would be) damaged in this method.

I've thought abut paying a guy to bring in his crane (lots of height and
lifting capacity), but that's another cost that I'd like to
avoid if at all possible.

So, I'm open to suggestion and the wisdom of the group's experience.

Thanks in advance.

Dave, W8QW