Re: [TowerTalk] Recabling info needed for US Tower HDX-589

To: ve3ne@rogers.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recabling info needed for US Tower HDX-589
From: Steve Babcock <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 19:07:54 -0600
Lali,
I have replaced the main lift cable twice on my UST-589.
The last time was about 6 years ago, and my memory is not perfect but I can
give you the "basic idea". I don't recall all the details, but you should get
the idea as you proceed.
I have replaced the cables once when the tower was laying down, and another
time standing up. It is easiest to do while standing.
Not sure if yours is up or down.

1. Find or get a 6X6' fence post timber or similar large block and stand it
**inside** the base, standing on the concrete against one leg, and position it
so that the first section will stop on it when cranking the tower down. (by the
"first" section, I mean the biggest section being lifted by the lift cable).
The idea is to "rest" the tower on this block when the tower is cranked down.
If I recall I used about a 3' or 4' timber. The tower cannot be fully retracted
but almost all the way down.
**do not crank the tower down yet or you will break the pull-down cable**

2. **block all the sections with heavy gauge pipe** very carefully for safety
in case anything breaks (you don't want to get your hans sliced off) and then
reach inside and **disconnect the pull down cable** which is attached to the
top section.

3. **pull out the pipe blocks**, and then engage the motor to crank the tower
down.....the main lift cable will go slack when it stops on the supporting
timber. The tower is now resting on the support timber.

4. **re-block the tower for safety** and replace the main lift and or sheaves
as needed. I pulled the new lift cable into the tower using the old one to make
sure I got it right.

If your tower is lying down, the same procedure applies, but you may need to
use a come-a-long to remove the tension.
The key is to remove the pull-down cable.

good luck, and be careful.

de steve VE6WZ