Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 09:17:43 -0700
On Sun,7/3/2016 7:55 AM, Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk wrote:
So, what am I missing?

The fundamental principles upon which ferrite chokes work.

Why is 52 rarely mentioned and the debate is usually 31 vs 43?
Quoting from the Fair-Rite engineering catalog, #52 is "a new high frequency NiZn ferrite material that combines a high saturation flux density and a high Curie temperature. SM beads, PC beads, and a range of rod cores are available in this material."

Someone asked this question several months ago, so I studied that catalog.
A thorough search found only very small circuit board components with that material, components that are much too small to fit coax.

Does it make sense to build a "universal" choke using 2 or 3 different cores to
cover the entire 160 to 10 m range?

No. What DOES make sense is multiple chokes in series along a cable to cover a wide frequency range, each "tuned" to specific parts of that range.

Study k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf for an complete theoretical development of how chokes work, AND measured data that supports and is the basis for that development. I first published this material as an Audio Engineering Society Paper in 2005, and extended it to the ham world in 2007. This particular applications note/tutorial has had more than 2 million downloads from my website, and key elements have been added to the ARRL Handbook.

In all of my scientific writing (and I've done a lot), I've always cited the work of others on whom my work is based, or who have contributed to the topic. When someone sent me a link to W1HIS's work, I studied it, and cited it. I continue to be disappointed that ten years after my first publication, G3TXQ has yet to cite my work, which is the clear basis for his.

A primary reason for my focus on #31 material (and I am the guy who not only showed Fair-Rite that their new #31 was a useful HF material with that 2005 AES Paper, but also introduced it to the ham world), is that #31 is the universally useful material for use in building common mode chokes between the AM broadcast band and VHF. It is the BEST material below 5 MHz, and nearly as good as #43 ABOVE 10 MHz. This universality allows us as hams to buy in quantity, taking advantage of quantity price discounts from industrial vendors, and escaping the predatory high prices of ham vendors who sell at 2-4X these quantity prices.

73, Jim K9YC