Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 10:34:35 -0700
On 7/5/16 8:03 AM, Steve Hunt wrote:
What I do is connect the choke across the output of a tuner to generate
a CM signal across the winding. Adjust the tuner for a good match to 50
Ohms and drive it from a transmitter. That way you have a
well-controlled experiment.

You can measure the CM voltage across the choke and the current through
it, or calculate them knowing the power output from the Tx.

that's sort of what I was thinking.. Once you know the loss properties, then you can figure out what the dissipation would be with some other load.

(assuming that the system is linear and you're not seeing saturation, which I'm not sure is always valid)