Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK

To: Alan NV8A <nv8a@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK
From: ScottW3TX <scottw3tx@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 11:43:34 -0400
Most brick and mortar stores run on very thin profit margins that are
getting squeezed smaller and smaller in this new economy shift. Costs
(especially health insurance, regulatory, and base services to keep the
doors open), are going up at 8 to 12% per year. Meanwhile competition does
not allow for the final seller of products or service to raise prices.
There are no longer excess profits in smaller businesses to fund owner and
employee retirement plans. Therefore there is rarely any "goodwill" or
"blue-sky" value in the sale. Just inventory (if it is sellable) and real
estate.

The bigger picture is what will happen to amateur radio sales companies?
The trend is that the smaller, niche companies are either closing down or
selling to the two dominant buyers.

Is such consolidation good for the future of amateur radio?

What happens when MFJ or DXE go up for sale?  Most likely the only
potential buyers will be publicly traded companies that have less interest
in the customer than the current stake-holders that are active amateur
radio operators themselves.  And will there even be a buy when one factors
in the demographics?

When I took my 13 year old son to the DX Dinner at Dayton this year he was
probably the youngest person there. I was probably the second youngest
(49).

Unless amateur radio quickly and effectively figures out how to connect
itself into the STEM and Programming wave I fear that Nathan and I will be
the only guys at the DX Dinner someday.

At least he and I will have darn good antennas :)

73, Scott W3TX