Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 17:35:15 -0700
On Thu,7/7/2016 12:31 PM, Chuck Dietz wrote:
Out of the *93.8 million* Americans age 16 and up who are deemed "not in
the labor force," 9.7 million of them are between 16 and 19 years of age.
Another 5.7 million are between 20 and 24. And 37.8 million are age 65 and
over. (In fact, 17.5 million are over 75 years old.)

And don't forget the women that choose to be stay-at-home moms.

While many jobs have been moved to low wage countries, this is NOT new -- during the middle of the last century, lots of good paying union jobs moved to low-wage parts of the US, and without the protection of unions. A huge part of the problem of unemployment in the developed world is the automation of work that used to be done by well-paid human labor. Hundreds of employees replaced by a few robots, machines that do the work tens of times faster than a human.

Many (most?) of the people who did those jobs for the first 20-40 years of their working lifetime have little if any education for today's jobs operating, building, and maintaining that equipment. At 74, I've been retired for about 7 years. My wife, 72, retired three years ago, primarily because of hand surgery. We've talked about working today, and agree that we would have a hard time getting hired at any decent job in today's world, not because the jobs aren't there, but because our fields have moved on, and we haven't. I have a BSEE, she's a PhD.

73, Jim K9YC