Re: [TowerTalk] Something new in the air...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Something new in the air...
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:18:46 -0400
not to thread on your enthusiasm, and I'm sure you know this, but the reason why he (or anyone for that matter) is above the rest of the stations isn't the antenna - or at least its just a factor in the overall scheme of things ... propagation is a key factor as is location, location location.

Before I recently moved to South Carolina I used HFTA extensively to vet every home we were looking at .... in 6 months found zero that met all our criteria - so instead I found 11+ acres that was great re HFTA (and ok for most other things) and bought it - built a house and am now assembling a station ... angle is the most important factor (assuming propagation is there - or compared to another station nearby) in that it can make an average antenna - even a dipole - out perform a large array ... HFTA will tell you this and I personally know - when I was in Arizona Dave, AB7E, was on the side of a mountain with a gentle slope towards EU out for miles - when modeled his location equipped with a dipole at 40' would outperform my 3/3/3 on 20 meters - towards EU .... and I'd hear VK's 20 over that he couldn't tell were there!

I only write this because it appears you're suggesting that it is this antenna that makes all these stations above the pack. Generally speaking the difference between an average 3 element beam on a compromised boom (length) and a monobander is only 2 or 3 db...

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: PAUL924@aol.com