Re: [TowerTalk] Lockwasher Comparison

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lockwasher Comparison
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 21:50:03 -0700
Not sure what Rohn provides. My tower was a used AM BCB tower, a couple of 10' sections were welded together after bolting. A BC engineer told me this is common practice to increase conductivity. I do have some stamped steel dished "kinda look like lockwashers" that came with the guy anchors I bought from Rohn. They look pretty MM so I used Nordlocks on the custom shaped U-bolts that go around the tower legs and bracing at the same time. Just had a complete inspection after one year, everything was tight.

Standard practice is to put the leg bolts in nut up, so when it falls on the ground you see the nut is missing or that the bolt isn't there. Or worse w/o your hard hat if it is a 5/8 x 2". If you can apply the rated torque of 90 to 120 ft-lbs for waxed + galvanized bolts they might not need locking washers, but the Nordlock insurance is pretty cheap compared to everything else. A plain A325 5/8 needs 220 ft-lbs. http://www.portlandbolt.com/technical/bolt-torque-chart/

Several articles I've read other than the Nordlock video/data seem to agree that split ring washers are about useless.

I've never seen hot dip galvanized internal or external tooth lockwashers. I use machine screw sizes internal ones, mostly on K-nuts (KEPS) for electronics.

Grant KZ1W