Re: [TowerTalk] Strong FM Station Impact on Antenna Analyzer Use in VHF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strong FM Station Impact on Antenna Analyzer Use in VHF
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 17:07:03 -0400
On 07/29/2016 12:14 PM, Jeff DePolo wrote:
At 1/2 mile, the free-space path loss is about 70 dB at 100 MHz, so the 50
kW FM would yield about +7 dBm using a unity-gain receiving antenna at that
location.  I don't know those two specific devices well enough to know
whether or not a signal of that amplitude (plus or minus the yagi's
gain/loss at 100 MHz) that far off-channel would be an issue.

We found that none of three MFJ units could function in an environment where the free space path loss was about 50 to 60 dB from a 1 kW transmitter on 162 MHz. Not only could they not provide reasonable readings at 146 MHz, but they could not at HF either. This was without external filters of any kind. I am not certain this is relevant, but I measured the output of one MFJ 259B at 144 MHz and found it to be +8 dBm.

73,
Paul N1BUG