Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Turning Radius when using Rings or IIX RM-16

To: n1rr@comcast.net, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Turning Radius when using Rings or IIX RM-16
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:37:54 -0700
What does this mean?    "-3 feet or less"

Consider that elements and booms move UP with some wind conditions. So it depends on the guy angles what you might choose for clearance. Also ice loading on guys. Your tower bends with wind load, so 1 or 2 guys slack a bit depending on the wind direction. 1 foot sounds too tight to me (in any direction).

If you have the ring rotator, then the diameter is known, what is the question?

I designed swing arms with axis of rotation at 5" from the od of the tower leg and 38" long arms to get max swing on R65. The best azimuth coverage (where the DX is at) for my QTH is when the boom is not perpendicular to the arm. If your tower is up then you are stuck with 3 mounting points unless azimuth coverage isn't important. Is that in your calcs? Then I decided to go with rings, but would probably go with swing arms if a do-over.

If guywire is EHS, then there is a big different problem, IMO.

Grant KZ1W