Re: [TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:55:21 -0500

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 30, 2016, at 11:22 AM, Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net> wrote:
>
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:52:14 -0500
> From: Courtney Judd <k4wi@k4wi.net>
> To: "Towertalk@contesting.com" <Towertalk@contesting.com>
> Cc: ACG <contest@alabamacontestgroup.org>, SECC <secc@contesting.com>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad
>
> I have been thinking about building a monster quad for 6 mtrs. I have
> googled quads and all about but came up with very little data to work
> with. I did find a 7 el regular spaced quad on 19 ft boom but I was
> thinking of more elements and wide spaced... I have several 44 ft 2 in
> booms or even a 60 ft 3 in boom. I wanted to stick this on my rohn 45 at
> 100 ft. Anyone have any ideas or can point me to a web site or reflector
> where i could find something like this? Thanks, Cort K4WI
>
> ##  The problem with quads is the spreaders do nothing...except to
> support the (failure prone ) wire loops.  The windload on the 4 x spreaders
> is a heck
> of a lot more than a simple yagi element.
>
> ##  IE:  you require  4 x 13 ft spreaders to build a 20m ele.   Thats
> a total of  52 ft of spreaders..just to make one 20m ele = nuts.  And
> double all of that for a 40m full size quad ele.
>
> ##  My short 40M  f12  eles are only 44 ft long....and  my longer F12  40m
> eles
> as used on the f12  N series of 40m eles, range from 52-59 ft long.
>
> ##  6m eles are only aprx  10 ft long.  Tha’s  dead simple to make from .375 +
> .500  tubing.   6 ft center section of .500 tubing...with .375 tips.   Use  a
> 6 ft length
> of .500 tubing for the center section...and  3 ft sections of .375 tubing for
> each tip.
>
> ##  Thats  cheap at dx engineering.   Quads are a pita.  4 x spreaders per
> ele, and
> some form of spider to mech connect all the spreaders..then  onto the boom.

And that doesn't even speak to the PITA that is trying to get a quad airborne.
It's bad enough on a freestanding tower, never mind a gutted tower.

At VE4VV, he had a four-element Gem Quad once. Emphasis on 'once.' It was an
absolute KILLER on the air. Would burn bands open it was so hot. But it came
down for wire repairs once and then went back up. The second time it came down
(another controlled descent), it never went back up. Great antenna if you like
climbing.