Re: [TowerTalk] RV: 6 mtr quad

To: Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RV: 6 mtr quad
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 12:33:22 -0400
Yes, Màximo, I should have mentioned that I designed for maximum forward gain. I'm generally only interested in the CW end of the band and take what I get elsewhere. (Nevertheless, IIRC, the gain did not drop off very much in the phone part of the band.) The problem with F/B on quads is that it peaks over a very narrow frequency range, so I just don't think there's much to be gained by designing for F/B, and I personally prefer to focus on forward gain.

73, Joe
K2XX

Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <mailto:ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
Thursday, September 01, 2016 10:18 AM
Hi,

Any quad or Yagi is designed with a target on mind. You can't get everything, so you need to focus on one of the three main parameters; forward gain, rear gain (F/B), and bandwidth.

You can only maximize two of them. Or you can leave all three balanced, no one parameter reaching his top limit.

Most commercial designs are "balanced", for average users.

But if anyone wants to maximize his design, he is able to get much better figures, just from two parameters.

A good example is in the high bands, where bandwidth is not an issue, due narrow band use (VHF). Then, you can design to get highest figures on front gain and rear lobes, in a narrow bandwidth. Over only two parameters.

On HF bands things are a bit different.

Newer quad designs for HF include what was called "OWA" style.

Using a specific design technique you can get a balanced response with higher gain and F/B than traditional designs.

There are some designs (including 6m OWA) and documentation at; http://www.ea1ddo.es/cubicas.html

And hundred of quad pictures at; http://www.ea1ddo.es/galeria/index.php

73, Maximo