Re: [TowerTalk] GEAR BOX; GEAR OIL; 80/90 QUESTION

To: "'WK1W-Ivan Shapiro'" <WK1W@ivanshapiro.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GEAR BOX; GEAR OIL; 80/90 QUESTION
From: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 14:45:23 -0400
Ivan,
My concern is low winter temperatures and the increase in viscosity which
cause an increase in drag on the system. I don't see why 30 weight oil can't
be used. Another lawyer getting CYA I think.
In an automobile, the combustion cycle causes trace amounts of sulfuric acid
and other chemicals to migrate into the oil. This eats away at your
engine--that's why you have to change your oil every 3 or 4K miles.
A tower does not have the problems cars do. My belief is the lawyers are
doing CYA in case something has to go to court.
It's like Amphenol saying they don't guarantee that N connectors aren't
waterproof. I have used N connectors for years and when I take them apart
they are bright and shiny on the inside. Another CYA by the attorneys.
IMHO.
73 and again my 2 centavos Hardy N7rt/4