[TowerTalk] Sealing Cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sealing Cable
From: John Birken <k2sfs73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 03:19:15 -0400
Chuck:
Here's what I pulled off from my antenna shelves. "Scotch Professional
Grade 35 White Vinyl Electrical Tape". I color code my many antennas.
Plus "Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape".
1. Wind with tension the Professional tape over your area to protect
and continue it 6 inches beyond the connectors.
2. Wind the Moisture Sealing tape over this same area making sure you
have pulled the tape about 50% thinner when you wind(see the Scotch
instructions).
3. Then do a third winding of Professional tape. Doing this makes your
outer coating smooth - not sticking as the moisture sealing tape is.
The first winding allows easy unwinding the Moisture Sealing tape.
All the above items are at the beginning of Home Depot's electrical
section in a display for tapes. Every hardware store carries them.

It's also great for shortening wire antennas. The above combination
relives tension from the shortened soldered copper wire. I pull this
up 55 feet. Never breaks.

Good Luck,

John, K2SFS

I am redoing some coax connectors and need the manufactures part numbers
for the Scotch products.  I have heard to use a layer of Scotch Super
33+ tape, would Scotch Super 88 be better?

Then use some self vulcanizing tape, but I have no part number for
this.  Is the part number for this Scotch Moisture sealing Electrical
Tape (P/N #2228), or is there a better product to use?  I am not sure if
#2228 is self-vulcanizing

The final step was a was to brush on a coating of Scotchkote. Should I
use part number 14853 or is there another product I should be looking at?

I am in northern Illinois and it does get cold here so any products will
have to stand the temperature extremes here.

Thanks,
Chuck - N9QBT