Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square DUMMY LOAD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square DUMMY LOAD
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:36:44 -0300
Hi Bill,

4-squares in the woods had even a fraction of the responses yours did !

To respond to your trailing question..I use a Heathkit Cantenna full of
mineral oil on my 20m 4-Square.  It's on a board and I put a big bucket over
it. It's what I had.

For the arrays I just purchased from Dx Engineering a couple weeks ago I
purchased a Vectronics DL-650M 1.5kW dummy load for each one.

I did not consult with Bob/W5OV when I had him on the phone, but it's what
was recommended on the Dx Engineering Website.  I plan to hang it off the
side the  ACB Comtek units

and put a big bucket over it, as it's not WX-proof whatsoever.

I don't run much power here. ~500w CW, and 600-700w PEP SSB, so I think I'll
be fine. (even though you need to consult the derating curves to be sure
it'll suit

your application.)

73 es CU all of a sudden (in the fray)

Mike VE9AA

dit dit

Thanks to all who responded to my post on 4 squares.

>From what I've read, my plan will be to:

First, run a single rope from the 90 ft tower, which will give me a ground

mounted 60ft wire vertical 33 ft away, I'll make up the rest by running the

rest of the wire about 5-6 feet back to the tower along the rope.  I'll

temporarily lay about 20 radials on the ground and see how it plays.  If it

looks like it's working in RBN tests compared to KH6LC's 4 square, I'll
proceed

with the rest of the system.

I'm curious what most of the guys are using for their power dump in the 4

square.

Bill K4XS

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB