Re: [TowerTalk] station to station interference

To: steve@nr4m.com, "Towertalk@contesting.com" <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] station to station interference
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 19:53:24 -0700
The "not reproducible" on demand and wide bandwidth makes me suspect some sort of intermod. The cell tower guys really work hard on reducing passive intermod (PIM), using all hardline, premium DIN connectors, careful bonding, and premium mechanical hardware. A cell tower is the ultimate multi-multi. Another potential source is reverse RF into the amp circuits, I think intermod is much more likely on solid state amps with a lot of non-linear junctions around. Then there are the apocryphal rusty gutter stories. I have an intermod that translates an aircraft AM band frequency to on top of a local 2m repeater output even with a super good DCI bandpass filter in the way. No idea so far about the source, but it clearly isn't inside the VHF radio. Maybe my active GPS antenna? Another rig? Your experience with RTTY and its extended on times at full power making the problem very noticeable is another intermod pointer I think.

Some ideas,

You don't mention if the stubs are designed to keep other bands out as well as output harmonics suppressed, that might be something to try, or the 4O3A high power bandpass filters.
Trying semi vs glowing amps.
Bonding around everything that is a suspect connection, particularly rotators. Getting rid of or disconnecting all wires to anything that might be getting a lot of rf into it and creating intermod. Choke the heck out of every other wire connected to something with active circuitry.
"tune up" all mains grounding and bonding all the way to the pole.
trip off AC breakers when the problem is there, try to isolate it

probably many more ideas from others.

Thanks for the contest Q's. Good luck with finding the gremlins.

Grant KZ1W