Re: [TowerTalk] RF resistance of copper oxides

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF resistance of copper oxides
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:23:07 -0700

Agree about the concern for connections, but I still say you're making a bad generalization ... in this case based on anecdotal evidence. The green patina seen on that copper tubing is very probably highly porous (I have experience with it since I taught myself how to create it for a different project), which means it provides a very tortuous path for current flow that would greatly increase it's resistance beyond the simply bulk conductivity of whatever form of copper oxide is there. That would make it more like an insulator instead of simply a lossy coating.

We're probably splitting hairs here, but from a purely technical point of view it's not correct to say that the surface condition never matters except for the connections.

Dave   AB7E