Re: [TowerTalk] Feed line grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Feed line grounding
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 22:01:11 -0700
I don't entirely agree with this explanation, although part of what you're recommending is excellent practice.

First, lightning is an RF event, NOT a DC event. IEEE studies have shown that the energy in lightning typically has a VERY broad peak centered around 1 MHz, with most of energy between about 100 kHz and 10 MHz. By virtue of its electrical wavelength, nothing on that tower is at the potential of the earth at RF.

Second, when we connect a coax shield to the tower at top and bottom, we are BONDING it to the tower. That's a VERY good thing to do, and we do that to keep the coax at the same potential as the tower so that a lightning strike won't cause arcing on the inside of the coax. I've seen some 7/8-in hard line where this happened. :)

Third, I don't think Mother Nature would buy your concept of a "boundary," but she is usually looking for a path to earth, so taking a coax shield to earth sooner rather than later is a good thing. BUT -- ALL grounds in any premises MUST be bonded together for lightning safety. The intent is that their potential all rise equally with respect to earth.

Fourth, lighting follows the path of lowest impedance, which at RF is virtually all due to the reactance of the path, not its resistance.

Fifth, no matter what we do, lighting will induce current on any loops it finds, so all the grounds we carefully bond together aren't exactly at the same potential. :)

Sixth, a lightning protector that we add to an antenna feedline where it enters our shack contains a gas discharge tube that shorts the center of the coax to the shield, which minimizes the voltage at the input to our radio. That coax shield must also go to earth, and the point where it does must be bonded to all other grounds -- shack, power, CATV, telco, etc.

There's a lot more about this in the Power Point for a talk I did at Pacificon a few years ago.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC