Re: [TowerTalk] Duo band 20/15 meter beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Duo band 20/15 meter beam
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 01:51:06 -0500
The KLMs came out in the late 60s or early 70s. They worked well for antennas of the day. I had 5L on 20 and 6L on 15. Mine "appeared" to have gain, or were at least directive. IIRC they used dual DEs and were quite broad banded. I had a 7L Wilson on 10 that played very well. Even on that cycle low, I could hear JAs on an apparent dead band. It was fed with a quasi air core coax. It had a spiral dielectric that looked like layers of thin polystyrene. .They didn't use software as there wasn't any except on mainframes and mini computers and it was EXPENSIVE as was computer time. Programs, even at the college level were input with punch cards.

73

Roger  (K8RI)