Re: [TowerTalk] Matching 40M

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Matching 40M
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 08:31:13 -0500
Could you install a switchable capacitor antenna feedpoint?

John KK9A

To:     <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:        [TowerTalk] Matching 40M
From:   "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>
Date:   Sun, 06 Nov 2016 12:04:59 -0500

Years ago some of us used an L-C network made from a variable cap and a coil
to make the amp happy at the top end of 40M with our shorty-forty's.

I now have the same problem with a 3-EL 40m that is tuned for CW. The amp
does not like to put out much power at the high end of the band. Is it
possible to update that old circuit with a ferrite core and some doorknobs?

Has anyone tried this? Would I have issues with circulating current or very
high voltages trying to put this into a box to put on the output of the
1500W amp for phone contests?

I realize this does not treat the high SWR on the coax. I could put the box
at the base of the tower so that there would only be about 50' of coax to
the antenna if that makes things "better".

Tnx for any feedback

N2TK, Tony