Re: [TowerTalk] Help, Antenna modeling people.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help, Antenna modeling people.
From: Tom Osborne <w7why1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 13:49:38 -0800
Interesting thread.

I remember once I put up an 80 meter dipole and used some plastic closeline
on one end (without an insulator) to hoist it up into the tree.

I went into the shack, test the SWR and all was be fine.  Turned the amp on
and SWR went all to heck.

When I checked the rope, I could see where it had been burned.  I cut it
off, re-tied it to the antenna and hoisted it back up.  Same thing - low
power it was fine, high power the SWR went out of sight.

Then it dawned on me that this clothesline had some wire inside.  When it
burned through the insulation of the rope, it added about 50 feet to the
end of the antenna :-).

You would have thought I'd have seen this right off the bat!  73
Tom
W7WHY