Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Element phased vertical array using Comtek Foursquare

To: "'Jorge Diez - CX6VM'" <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>, "'Matt'" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Element phased vertical array using Comtek Foursquare Box
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:15:42 -0500
10 years ago I tried exactly what Matt outlined below. Two 40 meter elements
using a Comtek 4 square box. The Comtek manual had a sheet on how to do it -
including the 50 ohm phasing lines. The VSWR was OK (so is a dummy load!), but
the performance was not very good. F/B was less than 10 dB. The gain seemed low
as well. I went to EZNEC and modeled the entire system and the results
confirmed my field experience. The configuration of a Hybrid with the dump
power load does not work properly in a 2 element system when mutual coupling
between the elements are taken into account (which is where the original Comtek
documentation failed). Notice that current Comtek 4 square box documentation
does not include a two element installation option because it does not work.

This is why DXE now has the DVA product. Designed specifically for two vertical
elements - including the effects of mutual coupling. No dump power load. Simple
and easy to install - very effective. If you worked the Tromelin or Juan de
Nova DXpeditions in the last 18 months - they used a DXE DVA on 80 meters.
Their signal was outstanding.

By the way - 4 square boxes and the DXE DVA all require full size quarter
wavelength elements to work properly. Short loaded elements have different
mutual couplings which will result in compromised performance

The DXE-TFS boxes cannot be used with two elements for the same reason as the
Comtek.

73
Tim K3LR