Re: [TowerTalk] [TowetTalk] Station and tower grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [TowetTalk] Station and tower grounding
From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 11:22:32 -0600
Hammer Drill Method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNdzeOsy8o&t=35s

Rich - N5ZC

On 12/3/2016 11:14 AM, Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk wrote:
You don't need the drilling action. You need the hammer action,
and LOTS of it. Ground rods are only pointed on the bottom end,
and drilling action gives zero benefit.
When I needed to drive several 10' rods in/through Pacific NW
glacial till, I rented a 60# demolition (aka "jack") hammer.
Most rods went right in, in seconds. A couple took a little longer.
One rod took about 5 minutes to bust through some kind of gnarly
rock.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC