Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects

To: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects at R
From: Guy Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 01:16:47 -0500
My **GUESS** is that it's a deterioration of the surface portions of
the copper, decomposition by-products of the inner insulation, held
against the copper surface for extended periods, never washed off by
rain, with active acidity restored over and over by rain. I don't
think that any possible degree of dielectric loss in the insulation,
deteriorated or not, could account for the degree of loss.

My current sketchy estimation of a workable experiment would be to
create a 40 meter dipole of the stuff, support it up 8 feet on conduit
tubing. Get some end tension so you don't change any positioning when
you start working the steel wool. Also wait for a dry day at the end
of a dry week, with no weather change or precipitation in sight.

AIM4170 RF analyzer, recording the graphs and saving the scans.

To attach a plain jane SO239, see if the deteriorated copper can be
soldered to. Note this and then steel wool if needed just right at the
solder points.

Measure at the center, then do a series of things... 1) steel wool the
non-copper stuff at the surface, still leaving the copper dull and
etched. Remeasure. 2) steel wool the copper bright on one side of
center. Remeasure. 3) steel wool the copper bright on the other side
of center. Remeasure.  4) while using the steel wool, note if the
resulting wire is even or has aspects of irregularity. 5) put a
micrometer on the wire before and after steel wooling the copper.

The AIM4170 utility will allow overlaying the R and X graphs, to show
if VF is changed on the wire.

The degree of loss change should show easily, even on the less
sensitive dipole test.

The loss was measuring out at an average ohm per foot. On the dipole
the dipole test R value might do something like drop from 165 to 100
or the like.

This is workable, and think there is enough of the wire from the test
site left. Hope he hasn't tossed it yet, but will see.

73, Guy K2AV