[TowerTalk] Fwd: UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effect

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 19:51:20 -0500
 I think Partick has a point. Why is the current trying to go through the
insulating top layer of the copper wire.

Now, if you study the skin effect and apply the formulas you will find out that
the skin effect on an insulating layer is very, very deep to the point that
hardly any (actually non to pay attention to) is going via the insulator. Same
thing with the oxidized layer on a bare copper wire. The skin effect "sends"
all (almost) to the conducting copper wire. The only time there might be a
problem is if the corroded layer is conducting enough to carry a sizable amount
of current and thereby cause attenuation. I doubt that the THHN isolation can
deteriorate to a conducting phase.

Aluminum wires have the advantage that aluminum oxide is not conducting unlike
copper oxide, the red oxide, is.

Man, this start to be complicated. Better find that North Seeking Owl.

Hans - N2JFS