Re: [TowerTalk] Mickey's US Tower

To: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mickey's US Tower
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:36:14 -0500
Engineering in my municipality requires a specific structural analysis for
the product for the site. If the product cannot be certified for my wind
code, I can't get a permit to install it.

US Tower will not sell a tower directly to me in order to protect their
reseller. That's a standard ethical business practice.

US Tower won't tell you "off the cuff" whether or not a certain tower will
work for your wind code requirements. They do sell engineering services to
certify their products so that I can seek permits. They recommend that
engineering be done and a permit acquired before ordering product. I
ordered, received and started the permit process.

This process takes months.

I might expect to pay a reasonable price increase for product, but 200%
within a few months is absurd.

I have a call into HRO in California and expect some help from them - but
if ham radio only represents, say, $1M of UST's $20M revenue, there's not
much leverage, and not much they can do.

My best bet today is likely Tashjian, but I will discuss the deal with HRO
and UST before I start the entire process over again.

Mickey N4MB

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Palm Beach Gardens
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.