[TowerTalk] 1/4 wave sloper impact on Ultrabeam/balun?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1/4 wave sloper impact on Ultrabeam/balun?
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 10:28:04 -0700
My biggest concern and question:
Could this damage the balun?

The short answer is possibly.

I had a similar situation a number of years ago. I was transmitting for a while on 160, using a 1/4 wave sloper, and then switched to the antenna with the balun. The SWR on the balun antenna was very different than it had been. Over the next few minutes, the SWR on the balun antenna returned to normal. Hmmmm. I went back to the 160 1/4 wave sloper and repeated the experiment. Same thing - transmitting on the 1/4 wave sloper was heating the balun on the other antenna.

73,
Steve, N2IC