Re: [TowerTalk] noise profiles.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] noise profiles.
From: Earl Morse <n8ss2014@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 09:38:47 -0500
Gary,

The crater profile you are seeing is described in this link:

https://interferencetechnology.com/spread-spectrum-clock-generation-theory-and-debate/

If you get nothing else from that link at least you get to look at Hedy
Lamarr.

Look at figure 5.  It shows the crater profile you are seeing.

This tells you that the base frequency of a clock or switched signal is
being dithered slightly which causes it to get a little wider than a
typical narrowband CW signal resulting in the crater or Batman shaped RF
profile.  In your case at such a low frequency it is probably just the
natural instability of something that switches like a switch mode power
supply drifting a few Hz rather than a purposely induced dithering (such as
the sine, triangle, or hershey kiss waveforms they are using) on  a clock
to reduce emissions by spreading the noise out farther than the passband of
the measurement receiver.

This technology was used to reduce radiated clock emissions in electronics
and many clock generators have a spread spectrum mode for that reason.  It
doesn't reduce the energy only spreads it out further resulting in a lower
measurement when using a fixed bandwidth receiver.

As for whether it is grow lights or some other source you can't tell.  But
anything operating at a 36 kHz switching frequency with some instability
will give you that "crater" profile.  BTW, 25-200+ kHz are very common
frequencies to operate switch mode power supplies so your 36 kHz falls in
that ballpark.

Earl
N8SS