[TowerTalk] Fwd: Strange Balun...please help

To: towertalk-request@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Strange Balun...please help
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 11:29:10 -0400

I came into the possession of two unusual high power baluns, one with
125' of RG-213 attached and the other with a two foot lead of coax
attached.  They are seal and inside PVC with the coax going inside the
bottom and large eyelets for the wire and support in the center. They
appear to be commercially made.  I soon found tat they are not current
baluns judging from the discovery that there is no DC continuity to
either wire connection from the coax.  With a bridge and a 50 ohm
non-inductive resistor the VSWR is very high.  However when I put a 1000
ohm resistor on the antenna connections the balun is flat from 1.8 to
past 60 Mhz!!!  This would make the device a 20:1 balun which is something
I have never heard of. What kind of antenna requires such a high
impedance feed?  If anyone has any knowledge of the use for these
devices please let me know. Thanks

Herb, KV4FZ