[TowerTalk] speaking of 1/4 wave slopers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] speaking of 1/4 wave slopers
From: "Danny Pease" <dpease@adams.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 11:26:35 -0600
Several years back I installed a 1/4 wave sloper for 80 meters on a 70 foot
tower. This arrangement was sued at three different QTH's, all with the same
results. There were multiple beams for HF/VHF/UHF on the mast, SWR was
excellent, covering the entire 75/80 meter band under 2:1. In my case, the
guy wires were broken up with insulators, all feed lines ran from the tower
across the ground to the house. Performance was acceptable, not stellar.

In more recent years, a couple of others have tried the same arrangement but
never get an acceptable SWR, but in all those cases, guy wires were not
broken up with insulators, otherwise things were pretty much the same. In
one case, there was nothing close to resonance anywhere near the 80 meter
band regardless of wire length.

Does anyone have any practical experience using a 1/4 wave sloper on a guyed
tower where the guys wires are not broken up with insulators? Do the guy
wires need to be insulated to get a decent SWR?

NG9R