Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square questions
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 14:48:53 -0800
On 3/6/17 2:43 PM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
Are people really using 4 squares as their primary receiving antennas on 160
- 40?  I am surprised if so.  4 squares on the low bands should be all about
steerable gain in my opinion.  Heck I even use my beverages on 40M half the
time and I have a 3 el beam.  On 80M I have a 2 el wire beam and use the
beverages to receive about 80% of the time.  The exception being an
EXTREMELY quiet winter evening.  On 160, I have a 2 el phased array to
Europe that is about 1.5 db less than a 4 square and I have NEVER used it to
receive.

A beverage isn't exactly steerable and requires more room. I suppose that from a "making Qs" standpoint, you could probably figure out the directions to the likely areas and do just those.