[TowerTalk] Beverages and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverages and verticals
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:16:14 -0400
Things are progressing on getting the station up and running and in less than
two weeks I should have the tower up.  I have room for  Beverages up to around
800 feet.  One will be running from NW to SE and the other NE to SW.  I hope to
make them bi-directional.  I plan to make use of them on 160 and 80, but may
use them some on 40.  The antennas on 80 and 160 will be vertically polarized
so the Beverage is important there.  However, on 40 the antenna is a Yagi so
the Beverages will not be as important.

A couple of questions:

1.  I can make them any height, but am considering 10 feet  with a rise to
maybe 14 over the driveway.  Thoughts on the height, and the "hump' over the
driveway?

2.  The NE/SW run will be running pretty evenly downhill and will drop from
around 1150 feet to around 1000 feet above sea level.  While this is great for
a Yagi, how will it affect the Beverage going downhill?  Conversely, how will
the rise of 150 feet affect the Beverage in the opposite direction?

3.  Finally, a 4 square will be used for transmit on 80, with the same drop.
Should I expect any enhancement  in the direction of the drop and conversely,
any degradation in the uphill direction?  I think I know the answer to both
questions, but want some opinions.  I can't model this on N6BV's HFTA so right
now it's guesswork.

Bill KH7XS/K4XS