[TowerTalk] G2800 Rotor issue

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G2800 Rotor issue
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:41:18 -0700
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:19:11 -0400
From: "Bruce Meier" <bemeier@bellsouth.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

One problem fixed but another problem surfaced.

Fast forward.   Now that it is back on the tower and aligned with the Blue
Heron all is well - almost.  Recently we have had some strong winds.  The
wind causes the rotor and antennas to turn.  This morning I turned on the
Blue Heron controller it indicated the antenna was pointing at 165 degrees.
When I shut it down yesterday afternoon it was at 45 degrees.   I moved the
control knob so the antenna would turn to 35 degrees.   It moved - stopped
exactly at 35 degrees as measured with a compass.  So - the rotor is turning
(gears inside?) and not the mast / antennas slipping.

I have (2) G2800s, (2) G1000s and (1) G450 and this is the only rotor that
wind causes the rotor to turn.
Anyone have any suggestions what might be going on here?

73,

Bruce – N1LN

##  either you have something else inside the rotor that is slipping, and or
the rotor clamp for the bottom of the mast is slipping.....or the boom to mast
clamp
is slipping.  Which of course will manifest itself when you have a big load on
it, like wind.

Jim  VE7RF