Re: [TowerTalk] Sunneyvake HRO - SK

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sunneyvake HRO - SK
From: bill steffey <ny9h@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 13:18:21 -0400

The Chicago stores were put under partly because hams would use them
as show-rooms to look at rigs, then PHONE IN AN ORDER TO AES IN
MILWAUKEE to avoid Illinois SALES TAX.
Of course IL SKY HIGH Sales Tax to blame also!!
Rob
K5UJ

that was , as far as I see, A BIG SCAM.
The owner of AES also owned the ONLY ham store in chicago..
ERICKSON COMMUNICATIONS... i say only...the only store that could get the icom, yaesu and kenwood franchise.....( what mattered)

cute, as it kept any competitors out (certainly those Japanese MFgrs listened to their BIG account in Milwaukee who undoubtedly disliked the idea of having competition in Chicago) .. yes check it out at Erickson and have it shipped tax free from Milwaukee...

I always looked forward to trips to LA so I could wander down to HRO Anaheim
where many radios hooked up and coffee also....
AES & Erickson operated like a parts house with the "clerks" sitting on stools BEHIND THE COUNTER... might as well have had their arms crossed as well...
such a cozy feeling ,,,,NOT    ham radio deserved better...
now due to internet no one will open a ham store in Chicago, unless they tax internet/mail order sales. Glad HRO took over the AES store.

bill     who 'got outta town'  5 years ago