Re: [TowerTalk] Cheap Hams

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cheap Hams
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 11:29:12 -0700
On Sat,3/25/2017 9:34 AM, Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk wrote:
Let me offer some examples:

Good suggestions, Rudy. But have you ever run a biz with employees? Ever done retail? I've done both, and I can say that it's cut-throat, both with vendors of the products you sell and with other sellers like you. Profit margins have gotten smaller and smaller, the vast majority of buyers seem to look far beyond price.

If all a vendor is doing is handing (or shipping) me a box and taking my money, I don't consider that worthy of much profit margin, so I'm likely to buy from a known reliable vendor with the lowest price, shipping included. OTOH, if that vendor is adding value, as in some of what you've suggested, or with in-store displays or an operating setup with the gear, I will buy from that vendor if they're selling what I want to buy, even if they're more expensive.

The recently closed ham store in Sunnyvale that started this thread DID have a station setup with a tribander on the roof, but I didn't want to buy the HF gear they sold (my HF gear is Elecraft) and I never found their sales staff particularly helpful. I did buy incidental accessories from them that were in stock, and one or two FM rigs. And in one transaction early on, I was treated badly with respect to warranty. As a result, the only thing I felt badly about when this store closed is that the staff lost their part time jobs.

As to those extra services -- those are functions that, in the great ham tradition have always been provided by other local hams. Some call it "elmering," others mentoring, others call it "paying back" or "passing it on" for how we were helped when we started out. As a teenager with a new General ticket, I was given my first rig by an older ham, was taught CW and electronics/radio by the local ham club, got help with antennas, was mentored in contesting, all by local hams. The technical writing and teaching that I do is payback for all the help I've received over the years.

73, Jim K9YC