To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 172, Issue 38
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:04:00 -0700
An effective common mode choke is a low-Q parallel resonant circuit, with the resonance placed near the operating frequency(ies). Typical circuit Q is around 0.5. Power dissipated in the choke due to common mode current is I squared R (or E squared divided by R), where I and E are the common mode voltage and current. In an antenna system that is reasonably close to balance, taking the feedline into account, common mode voltage and current at the choke is moderate, and a choke with common mode Z of at least 5,000 ohms can handle a fair amount of power. That means 500-600 W with high duty cycle and 1-1.5kW with low duty cycle.

If, however, the antenna system is badly unbalanced, as ANY OCF antenna is, the common mode voltage and current at the choke are MUCH higher, so that choke that handles 500-600 W at high duty cycle may fry with 100W at a low duty cycle! And, as N7BV noted in a QST article several years ago, if high SWR and feedline length combine to place a current peak at the choke, the DIFFFERENTIAL dissipation due to I squared R inside the coax can fry the choke.

Repeating my advice -- all-band antennas fed with open wire line are YESTERDAY'S antennas. They transmit just fine, but they cannot be effectively choked to kill RX noise and to prevent feedline current in the shack. The noise problem is new within the past 20 years, where, by 2017, the average home, including our own and those of neighbors, EACH typically contains 20-30 noise sources, each of them connected by wires that act as antennas to radiate their noise to our antennas. Any antenna that cannot be choked is a poor choice if you live within a few city blocks of your nearest neighbors.

73, Jim K9YC