Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar or no rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar or no rebar
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 08:17:38 -0500
As our society has become so very much more litigious and jury awards have risen toward enormous, the potential cost per failure has risen precipitously. Tower base specs above and beyond any reasonable requirement tend to remove the tower company from liability. If an installation fails it will be clear that is was not the fault of the tower MFG as their design is easily seen to be more than adequate.

Same reason why medical costs are often much more a product of malpractice insurance rates than the actual cost of the goods and services. Anything goes wrong and there is likely going to be a law suite, expensive lawyers, and perhaps huge awards.

In the medical instance a reasonable response is expensive high limit malpractice insurance. In the tower arena specifying ultra conservative bases and guys, where appropriate, is part of the self defense preparations of the MFG. Undoubtedly some of the increase in tower prices reflects the MFG's rising cost of liability insurance.

These days if anything bad happens, someone has to be at fault so they are identified and sued.

Patrick        NJ5G